Do you want to change the lives of children across the UK? Join us as Director of UK Impact and play a lead role in one of the UK’s most influential children’s organisations. In this key role you’ll be leading staff across Save the Children to inspire policy-makers and practitioners to change the way that parents are supported and give the poorest children the best start in life.
Our country is at a cross-roads. As we enter a new decade, after a period of sustained growth in child poverty, we have the chance to reverse that trend and close the gap in early learning between the poorest children and their better-off peers. As Director of UK Impact, you will be required to generate strategic partnerships and to raise awareness of and to accelerate progress towards SCUK’s mission. Key responsibilities include:
· Securing substantial and sustainable change for children, achieving nationwide change to transform children’s early years and reverse the rise in child poverty
· Develop and lead innovative partnerships that show how change can be achieved, building a robust evidence base and case for policy and practice change
· Leading innovative campaigning to tackle child poverty and change the national conversation about the support we provide for children.
· Developing a clear vision and strategy for our UK impact and translating this into measurable objectives for teams and departments to deliver our overall mission
· Being an authoritative external representative with partners, the media, government, parliamentarians and other decision-makers, ensuring Save the Children’s work in the UK is visible and that SCUK is shaping relevant debates
· Ensuring that resources (people and financial) are managed to maximise impact against the agreed mission and that extraordinary talent is recruited, developed and retained to deliver impact for children
· Working with relevant functional leads to ensure that necessary resources are mobilised, including participating in fundraising as necessary
To be successful you will have experience in a significant, high profile leadership role and a track-record of significant impact at UK level or in any of the four nations of the UK. A visionary, disruptive and transformative leader, you will have the creativity and charisma to inspire colleagues and partners alike. Experience of managing teams (including the leadership of managers), alongside a track record of improving performance, is also essential. In addition you will:
· Be motivated by fairness and restless to dismantle the inequalities which disfigure our society
· Have a strong ability to look at external trends and to bring external challenge and learning into an organisation
· Have the presence and emotional range to be as comfortable advocating to a member of the cabinet, to working with national practice leaders, to meeting with a family living in poverty
· Have significant leadership experience in a complex or fast-growing organisation
· Have the ability and willingness to travel as needed across the UK.
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
If you share our belief in the power of children, join the fight. It takes relentless determination, creativity and a real commitment to real change. Because every child should be able to make their mark on their world, and help to build a better future. We look forward to hearing from you and warmly encourage applications from BAME, LGBT, disabled and working class leaders.
To apply please visit our website jobs.savethechildren.org.uk/vacancy/director-of-uk-impact-4930/4956/description
Closing date: 12th February 2020