Garvald West Linton is the provider of Residential and Day Care services for adults with learning difficulties,
situated 20 miles south of Edinburgh in beautiful countryside surroundings. Currently we have a new vacancy for
a Residential Manager post to start with us as soon as possible.
Main Purpose of Role
The Residential Manager takes full responsibility for the delivery and management of the Garvald West Linton
Residential Service ensuring that all the residential facilities are functioning at the highest standard in line
with current regulations and delivering the expected level of service to all residents which is responsive to
their changing needs. Currently we are in the process of looking to develop further options within our
residential services to meet higher levels of support needs for individuals accessing our service. The
Residential Manager will be registered with the Care Inspectorate as the Registered Manager of the Residential
- to provide leadership and support for the House Managers ensuring that GWL meets relevant service standards in
the delivery of care to residents.
- to have an overview of GWL’s residential provision and ensuring that
it meets the needs of the residents and maintains a social therapeutic setting.
- to interface and work
constructively with the Care Inspectorate and other external bodies ensuring that GWL’s relationships continue
to benefit the organisation, the residents and the wider community
- to understand and work within the
principles of social therapy and to support the cultural life of GWL in the celebration of cultural
- Qualifications that meet the SSSC requirements for a Manager
- Qualifications relevant to the field of Social Pedagogy and/or Social Therapy and Curative
- Qualifications that demonstrate skill in managing conflict and/or interpersonal
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of managing a residential service preferably within a social therapy setting.
- Willingness to
support the cultural practice and ethos of GWL.
- Significant experience in a similar managerial position
within the Health and Social Care sector including supervising and managing staff.
- Understanding of the
National Care Standards the SSSC and good practice in Adult Protection
- Working knowledge of Health &
Safety, risk assessments, environmental health and fire regulations.
- Experience of working with adults
with learning and/or physical disabilities, autism and challenging behaviour.
- Previous experience of
recruitment, resolving human resource issues and knowledge of relationship management and conflict
- Prior knowledge of preparing and working to budgets and annual targets.
- Knowledge of
social pedagogy and its relevance in an adult care setting for people with complex needs
Skills and Abilities
- Skilled people manager with the ability to give and receive feedback to improve individual and team performance,
and a genuine desire to support others in learning and CPD.
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to
act as a role model for others.
- Strong communicator who can liaise effectively with stakeholders e.g.
residents, day service users, parents, staff, health professionals, other care providers, Senior Management Team
and Garvald Trustees.
- Ability to work within a set budget and provide relevant updates relating to spend
- Proven negotiation skills, executed in a similar setting.
- Ability to act as a strong member
of a team but independently manage GWL’s residential service.
- Excellent time management with the ability
to meet deadlines.
- Computer literacy with knowledge of MS Office packages, email and internet
- Must hold a full and valid driving licence
- Commitment to embracing and pursuing the principles of social therapy (based on the Rudolf Steiner principles)
and their application in a residential setting.
- Flexible and resilient with the ability to react quickly
and appropriately to escalating situations.
- Self-awareness and a positive outlook with confidence and
belief in own abilities.
- Logical approach to problem solving and decision-making.
- Confident in
ability to work with individuals who exhibit challenging and complex behaviours.
- Salary £31,500 per annum based on 40 hours per week
- Holiday entitlement will be 6 working weeks in first year of employment, rising to 7 working weeks in second and subsequent years.
- A non-contributory Group Life Assurance Scheme is offered to all staff on commencement of employment. The level of cover is four times annual salary.
- Automatic enrolment in the Pension scheme for qualifying staff in which both parties will contribute.
- We offer a comprehensive Employee Wellbeing Programme (EWP) by Health Assured. The EWP is an integrated online and offline personal support programme that gives all our contracted employees access to a range of specialist support and information.
For more information and to apply, please visit garvaldwestlinton.org.uk/work-with-us
Please note:Applications are being considered on an ongoing basis so this role me be removed prior to the
closing date. Early applications are recommended.