Lothian are the principal transport provider in Edinburgh and the surrounding areas of Mid, East and West Lothian.
This year we are celebrating 100 years of providing public transport in the city!
That is 100 years of creating memories and experiences with our customers and we want to make sure they’re always
That’s where you come in…….
In this newly created position you will play a critical role in assessing, developing and enhancing accessibility for
our customers as well as supporting them in overcoming barriers when using our fleet and services. You’ll be
responsible for ensuring that the Lothian Group complies with relevant legislation and best practice, as well as
striving to enhance the customer experience and promoting equality for all.
Accessibility Officer responsibilities -
- You’ll develop and introduce an Accessibility & Inclusion strategy for the Lothian Group, review regularly
and take appropriate action to ensure the objectives are being met. As well as liaising with our internal teams
to ensure our external websites reflect any improvements made.
- You’ll represent the Lothian Group
externally on accessibility and inclusion related matters at events/meetings to develop and maintain strong
partnership working and community involvement.
- You’ll work in partnership with equality groups to test
and develop proposals, ensuring any likely impact is explored and considered.
- You’ll lead, develop and
co-ordinate initiatives which promote and develop improved accessibility and inclusion on our services, which
includes working with internal partners to achieve this.
- You’ll provide advice and support to individual
customers and local groups as required.
- You’ll develop and implement actions plans to ensure continuous
improvement for our customers.
- You’ll be responsible for assessing and responding to customer concerns
relating to accessibility and/or inclusion as well as building and retaining the statistical data capturing this
information, ensuring it can be reported on, complete audits, as and when required.
- You’ll work in
partnership with our Police Liaison Officer on acts of a criminal nature to ensure all such cases are
appropriately dealt with through the judicial system.
- You’ll ensure to maintain up to date knowledge of
equality and diversity legislation including discrimination and then translate into practice to ensure statutory
requirements are met and also good practice is adopted.
- You’ll devise, develop and implement relevant
policies and procedures in support of the Accessibility & Inclusion strategy, which will include assisting
delivering internal disability awareness training.
- You’ll work with our colleagues internally, providing
advice and guidance on accessibility and inclusion.
Accessibility Officer requirements -
- You’ll have previous experience in a diversity and inclusion role or a role where the focus was on improving accessibility.
- You’ll have extensive knowledge of equality and diversity legislation and experience of translating this into working practices.
- You’ll have great communication skills, both verbal and written (with good report writing sills)
- You’ll have strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, customers and partners both internally and externally.
- You’ll have a well-developed use of initiative and problem-solving skills.
- You’ll have experience of implementing quality assurance systems and procedures.
- You’ll be self-motivated, and be driven to deliver results on time, to budget and quality measures.
- Ideally, you’ll have previous exposure to the public sector or local council but not essential.
Closing date: 6th December 2019
To find our more and to apply, please see our website