To ensure the smooth management of refuge accommodation, that occupancy is maximized and quality of refuges remain at
a high standard.
To ensure all income is collected from Housing Benefit and other sources. To ensure that other ancillary costs for
refuges are collected. To liaise closely with the appropriate Department in all issues pertaining to refuge
rents, ensuring that all relevant documents are completed and submitted timeously. To collect monies from women
as required and keep accurate documentation. To provide regular reports, and to work alongside other Women’s
Services team members.
Refuge income/ quality
- Provide accurate and practical assistance in the completion of forms which ensure we receive appropriate payment
for refuge. To ensure that all documentation is duly and timeously submitted including application forms (short
and long), supporting information/proof of income and requests for information.
- Regularly follow up all
applications and requests for information.
- Collect payments of rent, and ensure that all payments are
kept up to date, lodged and recorded appropriately and to pursue payment of arrears as per approved
- Ensure that all refuge payments are correctly assigned and reconciled with our own Finance
Department, Dundee City Council’s Housing Benefit Department and other relevant departments.
the warning system where there are arrears of any monies due to us by a service user and to advise the line
manager if a final warning is recommended.
- Undertake office administration relating to these duties,
including the provision of statistical information as required.
- Manage refuge income applications
ensuring that the maximum possible progress is achieved in relation to Refuge.
- Maintain an up to date
understanding of refuge income such as Housing Benefit and related legislation.
- Admit women, children
and young people to refuge.
- Carry out weekly checks of flats and refuges for Health & Safety
purposes and ensure that flats are properly maintained by residents and report any difficulties to the
Facilities Manager as and when required.
- Maintain and check before and after admission the inventory of
furnishings, bedding, crockery, kitchen utensils, etc. pertinent to each flat as and when
- Assist in the update of Welcome Packs for refuge properties as and when required.
Services to Women
- Ensure women are provided with accurate information about the rent and benefits entitlement via our information
packs and through initial assessments for refuge.
- Make refuge visits to provide direct support to
service users in respect of Housing Benefit, claiming other benefits necessary to ensure successful, timeous
income and other relevant tasks such as payment collection.
- Refer women to DCC Welfare Rights worker
should here be any concerns about their recourse to public funds entitlement or migrant worker
- Work within the policies, standards and procedures required by the law, DWA or funders.
- Assist with the
development, monitoring and evaluation of the service.
- Perform administrative tasks timeously to ensure
a seamless service.
- Provide financial reports/information as necessary
- Liaise closely with the
- Work collaboratively and assist as appropriate, other DWA workers. This includes regularly attending team/other
relevant meetings and keeping colleagues up-to-date on relevant work issues.
- Support the CEO and
Directors in creating a positive, supportive and participatory working environment which fulfils the aims and
objectives of DWA.
- Reflect on practice to ensure delivery of a professional service and positive
- Support the CEO and Directors in creating a continuously improving organisation
focused on service users.
- Take a proactive role in promoting equality and anti-discriminatory practice
throughout all aspects of the work.
- It is a requirement of the post holder to hold a full driving
licence and have access to a vehicle with insurance cover for business use. Please note, applicants who do not
meet this criteria will not be shortlisted.
This job description cannot cover every issue or task that may arise within the scope of the post. The post-holder
will be expected to carry out other duties from time to time which are broadly consistent with the duties as
The post-holder is required to be a member of the PVG Scheme.
Women only need apply under Schedule 9 (part 1) of the Equality Act 2010.
To find out more and to apply, please see our website dundeewomensaid.co.uk/vacancies.php
Closing date: 8:00am on Monday 16th December 2019