PR & Communications Officer
At Beatson Cancer Charity we support and enhance the treatment, care and wellbeing of current, former and future cancer patients and their families. We work in partnership with the NHS, The Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre and all related facilities. We also offer the wider community a unique opportunity to contribute to the fight against cancer in the broadest possible sense.
We are currently seeking a temporary PR and Communications Officer to support the Communications and Marketing team in highlighting the work of Beatson Cancer Charity and strengthening the organisation’s brand and reputation across external and internal audiences. This role is offered on a temporary basis, approximately 12 months, to cover a period of maternity leave.
• Write, co-ordinate and issue media and photo releases, briefing materials and features
• Organise and manage press conferences, interviews, photo calls and media visits as required
• Deliver a fast and accurate response to media enquiries
• Ensure all media work reflects the Charity’s values, strategy and core beliefs
• Supervise and be responsible for up-to-date media monitoring and archiving including external subscriptions; evaluating media coverage and PR activity for internal and external reports or for project evaluations
• Develop and maintain a strong network of media contacts and journalists, ensuring contacts are kept up-to date in a central database
• Develop and maintain good relationships with NHS communication team
• Manage relationships with suppliers for cost efficiency and deadlines adherence
• Work closely with other communications and marketing colleagues regarding online content and campaigns in order to support media activity
• Lead on and execute PR for campaigns
• Develop and maintain key relationships with NHS and Beatson staff members as well as patients to source case studies or relevant content for all marketing and communication channels
• Lead on the delivery of employee/volunteer communications in Beatson Cancer Charity – newsletters etc.
• Lead on the editorial and content aspect of external newsletters and publications
• Monitor and encourage increased internal engagement via Facebook Workplace.
Essential Candidate Criteria
• At least 3 years relevant experience in a similar role with an agency, journalism, corporate or Charity background
• A superior knowledge of the media environment and editorial procedures in Scotland
• Experience of creating and maintaining relationships with key decision makers, politicians, influencers and journalists
• An advanced writing ability and an understanding of the techniques employed in content creation
• Tested project management skills and the capability to prioritise tasks under tight deadlines
• Experience of producing internal communications that translate organisational strategy and motivate staff and/or volunteers.
What to expect from us?
• Temporary contract for at least 12 months covering a period of maternity leave
• Working 35 hours per week with flexibility to work evenings and weekends, when required
• 40 days annual leave (inclusive of public holidays) per annum
• Employer pension contribution of 7% and employee pension contribution of 3%
If you have the skills and ambitions to be part of Team Beatson please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Friday 22 November 2019
Beatson Cancer Charity is an Equal Opportunities employer and is committed to employing a wide range of employees who are reflective of the diverse community that we support.