The Community Help and Advice Initiative (CHAI) is an Edinburgh-based charitable organisation providing a range of advice, support and employability services aimed at maximising household income, preventing homelessness, reducing poverty, improving employability and generally improving wellbeing.
Main activities and services we provide include:
· Tenancy support and housing advice to prevent homelessness;
· Income maximisation, welfare and debt advice to prevent poverty;
· Court and tribunal representation;
· Financial inclusion service in support of individuals with addiction problems who are attending Edinburgh’s recovery hubs;
· Advice service in 5 GP practices and 23 schools;
· Employability service to support people back into work;
· Youth development work targeting young people aged 16-19 living in the South West area of Edinburgh, who have left school without a positive destination.
CHAI is a Company Limited by Guarantee and we are now seeking enthusiastic individuals to join our Board of Directors, who share our mission of reducing homelessness, poverty and inequality in Edinburgh and our passion to support the community. In particular, we are seeking people with skills in the fields of fundraising, marketing, health and income inequality, employment and child poverty, as well as individuals with lived experience of low income and/or homelessness, and who can bring that experience to help others.
The Board meets around 8 - 9 times a year at CHAI’s office at Riverside House, Gorgie Road, Edinburgh. Responsibilities include attending Board meetings and Annual General Meetings, provide advice and support to the Chair and Project Executive, participating in events and activities organised by CHAI. No previous experience is required as full induction, training and support in the role of a Director will be provided.
The position is unpaid, but full travel expenses can be claimed.
Commitment: Several evening meetings each year
If you wish to apply to become a CHAI Director, please email your CV and a covering letter, specifying why you are interested and what skills and experience you will bring to CHAI, to:
David Gardner, Project Executive, Community Help & Advice Initiative, email@example.com or to 5th Floor, Riverside House, 502 Gorgie Road, Edinburgh, EH11 3AF.
CHAI is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all sectors of the community.
If you would like to have an informal chat about the role, please contact David Gardner on 0131 442 2100.