At Beatson Cancer Charity we support and enhance the treatment, care and wellbeing of current, former and future cancer patients and their families. We work in partnership with the NHS, The Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre and all related facilities. We also offer the wider community a unique opportunity to contribute to the fight against cancer in the broadest possible sense.
We are currently seeking a PR & Communications Officer to join our Marketing & Communications Team.
This role will contribute to PR campaigns and activity that support Beatson Cancer Charity’s objectives.
The post holder will deliver PR activity and help to maintain an effective press office service on a day-to-day basis.
Reporting to: Marketing & Communications Manager
Salary: £25K - £30k Depending on experience
Hours: 35 hours per week
Holidays: 40 days (inclusive of Public Holidays)
Pension: 7% employer, 3% employee
Location: In line with current Scottish guidelines this role will be home based initially with an expected return to office.
Although core hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, we will consider part-time/ flexible working however, flexibility to work evenings and weekends is required.
• Deliver a timely, accurate response to media enquiries, leading on handling external requests professionally and effectively.
• To originate, produce and distribute effective support materials, such as Q&As, media briefings and lines to take.
• Organise and manage photo calls as required.
• Produce and support PR activities such as: copywriting for press releases, feature articles and other forms of public relations resources.
• To identify opportunities to promote Beatson Cancer Charity and its services via press, public relations, digital media and other marketing channels.
• To assist with the development of corporate publications and input to digital communications including social media.
• Manage the PR, media and publication budget in conjunction with the Marketing and Communications Manager.
• Be responsible for up-to-date media monitoring and archive materials including external subscriptions; evaluating media coverage and PR activity for internal and external reports or for project evaluations
Essential Candidate Criteria
• Educated to degree level or professional experience in a relevant discipline.
• Demonstrable experience (minimum 3 years) of working in a media environment, e.g., in a press office, PR agency or as a journalist.
• Demonstrable experience of working on charity or successful consumer-facing or behaviour change campaigns.
• Able to demonstrate effective use of social media to support PR campaigns.
• Understanding of press and broadcasting methods. • Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent project and time management skills.
• Proactively develop internal and external relationships.
• An understanding of the sensitivities of working for a charity.
• Hold a driving license and have access to a car at all times for business use.
• Successful PVG check.
Desirable Candidate Criteria
•Member of industry community/ professional body for public relations practitioners.
• Keen to develop skills and expertise in disciplines relevant to the role, keeping abreast of new developments.
Closing Date: 23rd July 2021
Interviews will be scheduled for 12th and 13th August.
To apply please send a cover letter stating your current salary and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Beatson Cancer Charity is an Equal Opportunities employer and is committed to employing a wide range of employees who are reflective of the diverse community that we support.