This job exists in order to (i) provide high quality advice on and effective management of the administration of
legacies and legacies income received by the Trust on a day to day basis, and (ii) ensure the proper processing
of legacy income and establishment of restrictions on legacies funds received.
The Key Purposes of the Job will be met by:
- Working with the Fundraising, Finance, and Legal teams to establish and maintain an effective end to end process
for the administration of legacies income in the Trust;
- Planning, budgeting, and regularly reporting on
the receipt of legacies income by the Trust over a rolling biennial cycle;
- Providing advice,
recommendations and assistance on the management, administration, and use of legacies income by the Trust on an
operational basis (whilst under the guidance of the Trust’s solicitor for any unusual or sensitive
- Working with the Finance, Fundraising, and Legal teams to manage the administration of all
legacy income received by the Trust to ensure a full and proper accounting for all legacies income
- Maintaining accurate records of legacies income on both the CRM and Finance
- Managing the Trust’s relationships with executors and solicitors acting on the winding up of
estates in which the Trust has an interest to ensure the proper and timely receipt of funds and the maximum
possible value of funds in line with the legator’s wishes;
- Establishing and nurturing excellent
relationships with executors to ensure that the reputation of the Trust is upheld:
- Liaising with
co-beneficiary charities and managing good relationships to ensure the proper and timely receipt of
- Working with the Finance, Fundraising, and Legal teams to manage the administration and scrutiny
of liferent and other trusts in which the Trust has an interest;
- Liaising closely and working
collaboratively with the Trust’s fundraising team to ensure excellent supporter relations are maintained;
- Liaising closely with the Trust’s finance team to ensure the proper accounting and, where
appropriate, restricting of legacies income.
The current duties of this job do require a criminal records (Disclosure Scotland) check to be carried out.
- A paralegal qualification or relevant degree;
- Institute of Legacy Management certificate or similar
- Demonstrable experience of the administration of legacies whether in a legal or charity
- Ability to work independently and to adapt quickly to changing
- Demonstrable ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with
executors, supporters, and internal and external stakeholders.
For more information about the role
visitFind a job | National Trust for Scotland (nts.org.uk).
Interested applicants should forward a completed application form which can be found on Find a job | National Trust for Scotland
(nts.org.uk) to the People Department (Applications), The National Trust for Scotland, Hermiston Quay, 5 Cultins
Road Edinburgh EH11 4DF, by mail or by email via firstname.lastname@example.org, by first post (i.e. 10.00am) on 30th July