Responsible to: CEO
Hours: Part-time, 21 hours per week (excluding meal breaks). No overtime paid, but time off in lieu may be taken as
Leave: 25 days p/a plus 10 public holidays (pro-rata)
Probationary period: 3 months
DTA Scotland is the national organisation for development trusts with a membership of over 300 dynamic organisations,
driving community-led change throughout Scotland. DTAS also runs the Community Ownership Support Service and
Community Shares Scotland programmes.
DTAS advises its members and similar organisations to enable them to deliver an enormous range of community-led
enterprise and activity from tourism, forestry, community hubs and employability programmes as they often take
over ownership of buildings and assets on behalf of their communities. Our activities cover business support,
governance training, legal advice, peer to peer learning networks and many other activities all of which build
confidence and capacity in communities to deliver projects for social, economic and environmental benefit. We
further have a strong advocacy and influencing role in policy development with central and local government, the
wider public sector, funders and industry. We are now seeking to appoint an experienced communications
professional to help us plan and deliver great communications to members, staff and stakeholders.
Purpose of Post
In particular, the postholder will be expected to contribute directly to:
- Delivery of the organisational strategic objectives
- Delivery of communications
- Coordination and leadership of an internal communications working group
Role & Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver DTAS’ communications strategy.
- Maximise DTAS’ and members’ reputation and brand
- Lead the development and implementation of DTAS’ approach to external and internal sector
communications, engaging with staff in the development of the approach.
- Support the development of a
stakeholder engagement strategy and be responsible for a key funding relationship and its
- Coordinate DTAS’ social media channels, develop creative digital content and liaise with
staff and stakeholders across member companies, government, public agencies and other partner
- Ensure DTAS’ communications priorities are aligned to those of key
- Prepare papers, briefs and submissions on key communication issues for DTAS Management team
and Board of Directors.
- Other duties as needed.
The post will involve some travel throughout Scotland meeting the membership and stakeholders. Occasional evening and
weekend working may be required though neither are envisaged on a regular basis. This post does not have line
management responsibility. Responsible to: CEO
- A degree or equivalent experience in media studies, journalism, public relations, communications, media design
or a related subject.
- A proven ability to develop and deliver communications and advocacy
- Experience of strategic communications planning and/or campaigns and project
- A thorough working knowledge of communications management, media and social
- Confident in representing a high-profile organisation and sector across all media
- Excellent communications skills – clear speaking and writing style with a track record of
networking, relationship building and presenting internally and externally.
- Website management and brand
- A knowledge of the community/social enterprise sector.
- Experience of delivering informal training or
providing an advisory service.
- Knowledge of the Scottish, UK policy, sector and media
- Experience of media relations at local, regional and national level.
- Possession of a
full driving license and access to car
- Have a strong work ethic, be keen to succeed, and be comfortable talking and communicating within and beyond the team.
- Be a strategic and creative thinker with a positive attitude.
- Be comfortable representing DTAS at external meetings with stakeholders.
- Be highly organised with a methodical approach to work.
- Flexibility in your approach and willing to take on other work as the sector and external agenda evolves.
- Demonstrate problem-solving and project management skills.
- Be a real team player.
To apply, please end a CV and covering letter to email@example.com by 7th June.