Gender Equal Media Scotland is hiring a Development Officer, hosted within Engender, for a one year post. The
successful candidate will work to bring together academics, journalists, and campaigners to analyse existing
work for gender-equal media, and develop a long-term vision for a Women in Media Body for Scotland.
To work with partners from Gender Equal Media Scotland (GEMS) which brings together academics, journalists, campaign
groups and organisations working for women’s equality in Scottish media.
GEMS aims to create a Scottish media which treats women equally – as employees, as contributors and as subjects of
Current partners include; Strathclyde University, Engender, Zero Tolerance, The National Union of Journalists,
Scottish Women’s Aid, Rape Crisis Scotland, Scottish Women in Sport, The Women 5050 campaign, Women in
This post will be hosted by Engender and based at Engender’s offices in Edinburgh (home-based during lockdown
- Establish relationships with key media and equalities organisations;
- Map existing initiatives,
resources, campaigns, and research, and identify gaps, both within Scotland and internationally;
a Scottish-specific evidence base on sexism in the media, and how this intersects with other under-represented
groups, to inform policy solutions;
- Evaluate existing resources and their effectiveness of creating
change within the media;
- Convene roundtable meetings with those involved in Scotland’s media and
- Develop an intersectional approach towards women’s equality in Scottish
- Develop a long-term vision for a Women in Media Body for Scotland including investigating
sustainable funding solutions.
- Clear writing style, and ability to communicate complex issues;
- Verbal communication skills, including
- Experience of building effective partnerships;
- Ability to undertake
research into existing provision;
- Experience of evaluating projects and resources;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Experience working in a small
team, including on individual and collaborative projects
- Understanding of women’s inequality in Scotland;
- Demonstrable commitment to equality across all
- Knowledge or experience of the media in Scotland;
- Experience in
writing for a range of audiences in a variety of styles from academic to informal.
Download this job description and
person specification as a pdf here.