Engender, Scotland’s feminist policy and advocacy organisation is seeking a Policy Officer to join our busy team
working for a gender-equal Scotland. They will be experienced in producing analysis and policy briefings, and
committed to feminist principles.
To work within a team advocating for policymaking that advances women’s equality by researching and writing briefings
and consultation responses. To engage with MSPs, staff, and committees to make sure that gender matters in the
To work with communications and engagement colleagues to make sure our members and stakeholders are up to speed with
the critical issues around women’s equality, and that women’s voices are heard wherever policy is made.
- Analyse government and public policy and produce ‘gender edits’ of key large policy and political
- Produce research and writing for consultation responses, parliamentary briefings and advocacy
materials aimed at a range of audiences, including for Engender’s blog and social media
- Maintain Engender’s presence in policy networks within Scotland, and engage with civil
servants and other key stakeholders with regards to Engender’s policy work.
- Work with the Engender
communications and engagement team to engage with communities of interest, third sector organisations and other
stakeholders to ensure that our policy analysis reflects women’s lived experience, including experts on sexual
harassment for a funded project.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and policy colleagues on
research and information gathering to inform Engender’s advocacy and policy priorities.
- Experience of producing policy analysis and/or briefing materials for policymakers, parliamentarians, or third
- Experience of working in the Scottish political context to influence change,
including some engagement with Scottish parliamentarians, and/or Scottish Parliament committees and
- Solid understanding of intersectional feminist analysis and its application to public
- Clear writing style, and ability to communicate complex issues simply.
communication skills, including delivering presentations.
- A strong commitment to equality and human
- Experience working in a small team, including on individual and collaborative
- Experience in writing for a range of audiences in a variety of styles from academic to
- Experience of using social media in a policy and advocacy context.
- Experience of
participatory policy development processes and research methods.
Download this job description and person
specification as a pdf here.
application guidance here.
Apply at Engender.org.uk/jobs
Closing date: July 6, 2020
Anticipated week of interview: 22nd - 29th July