Are you creative and passionate about communicating a message of inclusion and diversity?
We are a deaf-led charity working together for an equal and better future for all deaf people since 1835. We have a range of transformative projects and services which support our aim of improving the quality and conditions of life for deaf people in Scotland.
We have an exciting opportunity for a creative and strategic thinker to join our team as Marketing & Communications Officer. You will be someone with communications, marketing and PR experience who can raise the profile of the Deaf Action brand and engage with diverse audiences.
You should be able to think creatively, work both independently and as part of a team, and demonstrate excellent communication, interpersonal and digital skills. You will have experience of managing campaigns that help mobilise supporters, together with a background in campaign management that drives sales for commercial activities to support the work of the organisation.
You will be articulate, have strong influencing skills and proven stakeholder management skills to work with all levels of staff in the organisation, our board of Trustees, and external partners. You will have a commitment to empowering deaf people, and be willing to learn British Sign Language as part of your role.
The role reports to the Chief Executive and Senior Management Team.
· Develop and maintain a marketing strategy that supports strategic aims and development plan
· Lead the marketing and communication function and contribute towards the performance of the charity
· Maintain and update the Deaf Action website with keyword-rich copy to maximise search engine optimisation (SEO)
· Plan and create engaging content to maintain a strong community on social media channels
· Build and maintain a library of digital assets for the website and social channels
· Monitor analytics to measure and improve digital marketing activities
· Manage marketing campaigns across print and online platforms, supporting services objectives
· Highlight opportunities for and organise community activations and events to support brand awareness, fundraising and PR activity
· Take ownership of Deaf Action’s brand identity, ensuring consistency across all digital, print, merchandise, and event collateral
· Write engaging and timely copy for press releases and website news stories
· Manage media relations and maintain a trusted network of media contacts
· Work with colleagues to create new campaigns to promote charitable services
· Identify potential collaborators and partnership opportunities and support relationship management
· Contribute to the Strategic and Business Planning activities;
· Identify opportunities to reach new market segments and expand market share
· Prepare and manage annual marketing budgets
· Monitor competition (acquisitions, pricing changes, and new products and features)
· Monitor the policy environment and contribute to the systems change agenda
Person Specification (Essential):
· Degree or professional qualification in marketing, communications, or PR
· Experience of designing and delivering strategic, multi-channel marketing campaigns
· Competent in digital marketing, social media, and analytics
· Experience of owning and enhancing an organisation’s brand identity
· Excellent written and communication skills, with the ability to write engaging copy
· Experience of writing SEO keyword-rich text
· Experience of engaging with a range of internal/external stakeholders to deliver key projects
· Ability to work proactively, prioritise work and meet deadlines
· Strong organisational and problem-solving skills
· Ability to develop good working relationships internally and externally
· Ability to work as part of a team
· Working knowledge of WordPress, design software and Microsoft Office packages
· Knowledge of market research techniques
· Aptitude for learning British Sign Language
Person Specification (Desirable):
· Experience of working in the charitable sector in Scotland;
· Knowledge or awareness of deaf issues and culture;
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics;
· Graphic Design ability
· Full, clean driving license.
What’s on Offer
· Entitlement to join the occupational pension scheme which has employer contributions of 6% (above the minimum requirement);
· More than the statutory minimum annual leave entitlement (32 days including bank holidays) with additional leave entitlement accruing with length of service;
· Access to an Employee Assistance Programme provided by Health Assured;
· Access to the Cycle to Work Scheme;
· Access to an IT Voucher Scheme
· Support for Learning and Development through our PDR process
· BSL Classes to Level 2
· A range of flexible working practices
Closing date: Monday 3 August 2020 at 5pm.
Provisional interview date: 10th August 2020
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.