At CrossReach we're a charitable organisation that puts people at the heart of everything we do. From caring for older people, children and families and the homeless to supporting those with learning disabilities, we've been delivering innovative social care for 150 years. And as one of Scotland's largest social care providers, we have 65 services and 1,800 employees across the country.
As a member of our Corporate Services team you'll be helping some of the most vulnerable people in our society live safer, fuller and happier lives. Our values driven culture means we are accepting, respectful and compassionate to both our service users and employees. So, join us and you'll be part of a professional environment with a range of development opportunities and a generous benefits package. It's a career that will enhance both your life and the lives of vulnerable people across Scotland.
This post will have a support function for the generic and specialist counselling services and the prison visitors centres, however the focus can change as services change or develop.
The head of service will work to all the duties of the role as specified below:
· To understand and be involved in the development of the strategic direction of the organisation.
· To work in partnership with the business partner to determine ways of supporting and developing services.
· To be responsible for the overall management and co-ordination of specialist services with direct managerial responsibility for service managers .
· To ensure the effective management of all services by a regular plan of visits.
· To ensure that all services meet relevant legislative requirement and Crossreach policies and procedures.
· To ensure that services are working within the principles of GIRFEC, and support appropriate training and workforce development in that regard.
· To ensure through effective monitoring that all services meet the practice standards laid down by Crossreach and offer the highest standards of care to service users.
· To have budgetary responsibility for services to liaise with finance business partner on the preparation monitoring and control of budgets and be accountable to the director for overall budget performance.
· To develop and maintain an effective network of relationships with all key stakeholders relevant for to the specialist area (e.g. voluntary, statutory, private sectors, local and wider church).
· To be involved in business and planning meetings in partnership with the business partner and negotiate with key stakeholders and support staff to ensure agreed outcomes and timescales are achieved.
· To initiate and contribute to the development and review of Crossreach's policies and procedures relating to the specialist area.
· To monitor reports received from inspection units and other bodies ensuring that if appropriate the recommendations of the reports are acted upon and that the director is appropriately briefed.
· To identify opportunities for developing new services, identifying needs which can be met and liaise with the director.
· To ensure that services are effectively promoted.
· To identify and pursue alternative forms of funding for services in liaison with director and business partner.
· To monitor the quality of services and take appropriate action to ensure that quality standards are met updating director as required.
· To ensure that identified targets are met.
· To work to relevant guidelines for external management as laid out by care inspectorate or Scottish government.
To undertake duties in relation to Crossreach policies and procedures such as complaints, discipline & grievance, health & safety and safeguarding as required .
To prepare and present reports for the Council Committees, CMT and SMT as requested by the CEO or Director.
To effectively manage your area of responsibility ensuring that regular meetings, supervision and appraisal are in place.
To be a member of the senior management team, undertaking relevant tasks and responsibilities within and on behalf of the group.
To undertake speaking engagements on behalf of Crossreach .
To promote health & safety awareness and compliance throughout the area of responsibility.
To undertake such other duties as may be required by the Director.
To demonstrate and share Christian love and support including sharing with others the leading of worship in accordance with CrossReach policy and by ensuring all staff meetings are opened with prayer and Bible reading.
A recognised nursing, social work, counselling, psychology or equivalent qualification.
A full driving licence and the ability to work across Scotland as required.
As we do our work in Christ's name the job you have applied for requires you to have a Christian faith and be able to work within and uphold our Christian Ethos. This is an Occupational Requirement under Part 1 of Schedule 9 to the Equality Act 2010.
Membership of Disclosure Scotland PVG Scheme
Skills and Abilities
Postholder must possess basic computer literacy skills including use of Microsoft Office and the internet.
Experience of managing and developing staff.
Experience of managing and developing services.
Experience of prioritising work and autonomous working.
Experience of creative problem solving and use of initiative.
Effective communication both verbal and written with the ability to persuade and influence others.
Find out more and apply at crossreach.org.uk/careers
Closing date for applications: 18th October 2020.