The Ferret is seeking to recruit a part-time business manager, who will be responsible for our financial management,
business management and business development. We are looking for someone with energy, inspiration and vision who
can help us run our business successfully, and steer us towards financial self-sufficiency.
The Ferret launched in 2015, with the aim of producing investigative journalism in the public interest, holding power
to account. We wanted to be different — a transparent, accountable media platform for the digital age, owned and
run for and by its members.
Five years on, we are a highly respected, multi-award winning and growing media business. As of August 2020 we have
over 1,500 paying members, an additional 1,500 members of our Ferret Underground network, and approaching
We have been funded by a mixture of grants, subscriptions and content sales, with grants making up approximately half
of our income. In May 2020 we secured funding of $260,000 over three years from the Luminate Group, which is
explicitly aimed at making us financially sustainable by 2023 by increasing our income from subscribers.
Business manager key responsibilities
- Agreeing, coordinating and implementing strategies to increase paid subscriptions to The
- Proposing and implementing other strategies to help steer the cooperative’s development to
- Working together with key team members to agree, compile and meet budget
- Driving the company’s operating capabilities to meet reader satisfaction and improve subscriber
- Developing new partnerships and profile-raising initiatives.
- Monitoring invoices,
money handling procedures, accounting and bank processes.
- Preparing timely and accurate financial
performance reports for directors meetings.
- Overseeing marketing initiatives and implementing better
- Working closely, appropriately and collectively with the chair and other Ferret
directors at all times.
- Assessing and implementing, with board approval, improved processes and new
Business manager key requirements
- Minimum five years management experience, probably in a small business, cooperative, charity or start-up.
- Proven track record of outstanding performance in a previous small and challenging enterprise.
- Proven track record of managing finance and accounts and making business projections and plans.
- Experience in fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience of ethical leadership and cooperation.
- Good verbal and written skills, and experience working with staff on several levels.
- Knowledge of digital platforms, software accounting systems online engagement and marketing.
- An interest in journalism and news and an empathy with our core values, including a belief in the power of good journalism in the public interest, and the importance of transparency
Closing date: midnight October 26th.
We anticipate online interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place in early November.
For further information on our values, the requirements of the role and how to apply, please visit our website at