Break the Silence provides a range of tailored, holistic support options for survivors of rape and childhood sexual
abuse, aged 13 years and above.
The Finance Officer assists the CEO (Operations) to ensure compliance with the income generation strategy and
associated workplans, and to undertake the effective operation of all accounting functions within Break the
Silence. The range of responsibilities relates to financial forecasting, project budgets, income/expenditure,
payroll processing, quarterly and end of year accounts and reports, and formal submissions in line with
legislative requirements to OSCR, Companies House and HMRC.
Key Responsibilities include:
Bookkeeping & Accounting
- Prompt, accurate and effective processing of all income received using Xero, ensuring BtS needs are fully
- Ensure cash, cheque and electronic donations are accepted, processed and recorded in compliance
with the Institute of Fundraising Code of Practice guidelines and accounting best practice.
all Gift Aid donations made to BtS, complying with HMRC requirements, and maintaining appropriate
- Record all incoming invoices, process through Xero, and ensure appropriate authorisation by the
CEO (Operations) prior to processing payments due within invoice terms.
- Raise all outgoing invoices
using Xero and ensure due payments are received within specified terms.
- Developing and managing a
process for collecting aged debts.
- All invoices, statements, receipts and associated documentation are
appropriately filed in a manner that ensures that they are easily retrievable, and as required for statutory
Banking and Related
- Ensure bank accounts are fit for purpose and managed to effectively support BtS activities and
- Depositing cash and cheques timeously.
- Maintaining and monitoring effective petty
cash procedures to support internal BtS processes.
- Complete monthly reconciliations of all bank accounts
and that these agree with income and expenditure accounts for that period.
Payroll and Pensions
- Establish an internal payroll system for BtS which meets all statutory requirements and supports and records all
- Ensure accurate and timeous payment of staff salaries/wages on a monthly
- Maintain easily retrievable individual and group pay records, and comply with all statutory and
management requests for pay related data.
- Process all approved expenses claims from members of staff,
ensuring these comply with BtS policy.
Support to the Management Team
- Produce quarterly, monthly and end of year accounts for reporting purposes for the organisation and individual
project budgets in line with funder terms and conditions.
- Assist with financial forecasting and
planning, and cost of service delivery analysis, to drive both clinical and cost efficiencies.
both the management team and all staff to ensure the best use of resources across BtS, making recommendations
- Two years’ experience of working in a similar role.
- Experience of using accountancy software, ideally
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, in particular liaising with non-finance
- Good IT knowledge and ability to effectively use Microsoft Office applications including excel,
- Write and present reports incorporating financial data.
- Manage own workload
efficiently and effectively with minimum supervision.
- Understanding of 3rd sector organisations and fund
- Ability to investigate and resolve queries, particularly from the management
- Work on own initiative or as part of a team.
- Data retrieval.
- Managing financial
- Plan and prioritise workload to meet deadlines and maintain accurate accounts.
- Part qualified member of recognised accountancy body.
- Working knowledge of payroll software.
Post is subject to disclosure check.