Families Outside is the only national charity in Scotland that works solely to support families affected by imprisonment. Imprisonment can often have a huge impact on the things that matter most to families: money and secure housing, safe and connected relationships at home and in the community, and the emotional health and wellbeing of families. Family members who are not in prison must be understood in relation to – but distinct and different from - those in prison, and therefore Families Outside is dedicated to providing a range of practical, social and emotional support to people with someone in prison that are relationship-based, prison-aware, and family-focused.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our team supporting people with family members resident in HMP & YOI Cornton Vale and HMP & YOI Polmont. Our Regional Family Support Coordinator will:
· Support families at home and in their community via 1:1, family, and/or group work
· Work closely with key professionals including prison staff and prison visitor centre staff to provide advice, information, and guidance on a range of issues
· Raise awareness with key professionals and local and national stakeholders about the impact of imprisonment and our work to improve outcomes for families
· Contribute to local and regional multi-agency development work including the family strategy groups at HMP & YOI Cornton Vale and HMP & YOI Polmont.
HMP & YOI Cornton Vale and HMP & YOI Polmont house both young people and women, so we are looking for an individual who is:
· Experienced in working with and alongside families in a creative and flexible way
· Rights-focused in their work and all they do
· Trauma-informed and understands the impact of imprisonment upon families
· Skilled and knowledgeable in working with the most challenging issues that impact women and young people in prison
· A confident and effective contributor to working in partnership with others to meet families’ needs
If you are an experienced professional with social work, community work, family support, or other appropriate experience and are passionate about making a difference for families impacted by imprisonment, then we want to hear from you.
Closing date for applications: 12.00 on Wednesday 20 October 2021
Interviews: w/c Thursday 28 October 2021
(interviews, if possible, to be held in person at 17 Gayfield Square, Edinburgh EH1 3NX)
For more information on the post, telephone 0131 557 9800
To download an application pack, go to