Play Therapy Base is a children’s charity that was established in 2011.
The aim of the service is to provide children aged 3 to 14 years with a child-centred therapeutic resource close to
their local communities in Midlothian, East Lothian and Edinburgh. We have two purpose-built playrooms in our
office based in Eskbank, Midlothian. However, Play Therapy is provided where it best suits the child, for
example in school or in the home.
Thanks to the success of our ever-growing service, and the generous investment of our funders, we are recruiting a
new therapist. We are looking for a qualified Play or Creative Art Therapist with the minimum of 2 years’
experience working with children through play. The therapist must be able to demonstrate experience of working
in schools delivering therapy and have worked both on their own and within a Therapeutic team.
This post will be subject to PVG checks and 2 references.
Reporting to: The Play Therapy Base Senior team
Term:School term contract
Location: 32/13 Hardengreen Industrial Estate, Dalhousie Road, Eskbank, Midlothian, EH22 3NX
Job purpose and scope
- To provide a range of Play Therapy interventions offered by PTB to children 3-14 years to support their
emotional wellbeing and mental health.
- To work in an established Play Therapy team delivering services
in local communities and the surrounding areas.
- To represent the service within the local and wider
community and work in partnership with other professionals and agencies
- Co-ordinate and provide regular and consistent Play Therapy supports for the children within your case load
across several settings.
- Provide a range of supports over the week to children 3-14 years with-in school
or at the Play Therapy Base playrooms; Individual play therapy sessions, emotional check-in sessions,
school-based drop-ins, Therapeutic parent sessions or Filial Therapy sessions.
- Work in partnership with
professionals supporting referred families e.g., education staff, medical/ health staff, social workers, third
sectors partners and support workers.
- Work with parents and carers to help them effectively support
- Offer consultation and advice to parents/ carers and other professionals in the
- Attend professional meetings such as core group meetings, multi-agency meetings, LAAC reviews
and child protection case conferences.
- Keep accurate records of work undertaken with children and their
families in line with confidentiality & data protection guidelines following PTB procedures.
reports to parents and professionals where required in line with PTB processes.
- Attend monthly case
management meetings with PTB senior team and provide case work information for monitoring and grant
- Attend team meetings and practice discussion groups at Play Therapy Base.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working as a qualified Therapist with children and young people’s mental health
and wellbeing delivering play therapy.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience delivering a Play Therapy
service where school-based delivery was part of the work.
- Experience of working in a therapeutic team
and wider multiagency working environments.
- Sound knowledge of GIRFEC and CPC
- Experience of case recording, report writing when delivering Therapy.
delivery of service to meet individual Children and Family’s needs.
- Play Therapy training accredited by BAPT or PTUK to postgraduate diploma level or recognised equivalent. PTB
will consider a Creative Art Therapy qualification; the applicant must evidence a minimum 2 years play based
practice pre lockdown.
- Child Protection Certificate, or a commitment to undertake such a qualification
upon taking up the post is essential.
- Registered PVG
- A full Driving Licence.
Annual Leave: Term time contract holidays taken with Midlothian council school calendar to cover 40wk contract.
Pension Scheme we offer a Pension Plan, with NEST. You pay 5% of your basic pay with tax relief at 20% only 4% is
deducted from your salary. PTB contributes 4% of your gross salary.
Please provide a CV and supporting letter about why you are best suited for the post and return to Service Manager
Play Therapy Base by noon on 22nd October 2021.
Please email above to Linda@playtherapybase.co.uk