The Short Breaks Fund, operated by Shared Care Scotland, provides grants to third sector organisations that support unpaid carers to take a break from their caring role. The fund aims to increase the range and availability of short breaks across Scotland, allowing more carers to take the right break at the right time.
About the role
Assessors support our grant application processes and make objective assessments of applications for funding, which includes an assessment phone/video call.
Experience in grant assessment is desirable but not essential. We are looking for applicants who bring:
• An understanding of the need for carers to have a break from caring – either through lived experience, or in a professional setting
• A commitment to the ensuring that those carers most in need can access a break
• Knowledge of the third sector in Scotland and its role in supporting carers
• Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills
• An ability to hold structured conversations which lead to further insight and understanding
• An ability to work independently, but within an agreed framework
• An ability to write clear and concise reports
• An ability to take on feedback
Assessors will be paid £85 per assessment and £100 for attendance at the initial, in person training. Future training sessions will be paid at £50. Assessors will need to be registered for their own tax and national insurance and have access to a telephone and computer.
Our usual assessment windows are from June - July and December - January. You will need have availability to contact applicants, undertake an assessment phone/video call and complete your assessments during these periods. Each assessment should take no longer than 4 hours. Assessors will be expected to undertake at least 8 assessments per round.
Assessors are expected to work remotely apart from the initial in person training.
There will likely be occasional travel required to our office in Dunfermline.
Deadline for applications: Thursday, 23rd March, 2023
To apply please email a cover letter no longer than one A4 page, stating how you meet the assessor profile and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have queries about the role please contact Ailbhe Hendry (Short Breaks Fund Manager) by email as above.
For more about the Short Breaks Fund see our website