An exciting opportunity exists to join the Policy Team at Colleges Scotland.
Colleges Scotland is the collective voice for the college sector in Scotland, representing its interests and ensuring that colleges are at the heart of a word class education sector that is recognised, valued and available to all. Colleges Scotland, as the membership body, represents all 26 colleges in Scotland, which deliver both further education and around 24% of the provision of all higher education in Scotland.
As a Policy Officer in the team, you will work with key stakeholders and policy team members to ensure that policy and financial work, including analysis are effectively supported, developed and progressed. This will require you to provide support to, and guidance and advice on, a range of policy and analysis matters at any given time.
• Be able to “horizon scan” and turn these insights and knowledge into robust policy drafts.
• Strong oral communication skills.
• Persuasive and clear writing style to create first-draft reports, papers and briefings.
• Ability to work confidently and effectively with senior stakeholders (for example the Scottish Government, Scottish Parliament, Scottish Funding Council (SFC), Skills Development Scotland (SDS)) to help influence a range of policy and funding areas affecting colleges.
• Be able to translate complex and technical information, including legislation, into plain English and accurate advice.
• Analyse financial and numerical data to support/influence policy developments and funding submissions.
• Utilise and interpret data, financial information and statistics to produce strong reports and briefings.
• Undertake research on key topics.
This permanent post will provide a significant opportunity for the right individual to make a positive impact at a national level for college learners, the wider community and economy through working with members and stakeholders to identify and influence policy issues, as well as develop and manage policy activities, projects and campaigns.
This is a critical time for colleges, and the postholder will be involved in helping shape the college sector through the development of key work areas connected with:
• Advocating and engaging with Scottish Government, MSPs and other key stakeholders to ensure the sector is fairly and equitably funded through the Draft Budget process
• Progressing the outputs from the SFC Review of Coherent Provision and Sustainability, including work around the Scottish Government’s Purpose and Principles programme
• Enabling the college sector to maximise its role in supporting the skills-led economic recovery from Covid-19 and supporting the Just Transition to a Net-Zero economy
• Taking forward the Statement of Ambition for the college sector to extend the reach of colleges in supporting learners and businesses across Scotland
NB: Colleges Scotland operates a Hybrid Working Policy and whilst this post is based in Stirling, the successful candidate would not necessarily need to be in the office on a full-time basis.
An application pack is available for download below.
The closing date is Friday 30 September 2022.
If you would like further information on this post please contact Andy Witty, Director of Sector Policy, Tel: 07713 711 169, email: email@example.com.