YWCA Scotland, in partnership with Code Clan, are delighted to embark on a new project, Young Women Code, that will contribute to ending gender disparity in the digital technology sector in Scotland.
This new partnership project will see YWCA Scotland and Code Clan work collaboratively as experts in our respective sectors to identify, address and reduce the intersecting barriers and challenges facing women entering and progressing within the digital technology sector. The project will take an intersectional approach to identify and address the multiple barriers that women may be experiencing such as age, gender, race, class or sexuality, and others.
Diversity and a skilled workforce go hand in hand: we cannot address one without the other. Closing the digital skills gap is dependent on empowering women and girls of all backgrounds to enter into, and progress in, digital technology careers.
YWCA is recruiting a Research and Facilitation Coordinator to deliver this project with support from the Research and Impact Manager. This post will spend the majority of their time specifically working on the 'Young Women Code' project.
• Carrying out robust qualitative and quantitative research, through desk-based reviews, interviews and focus groups with an intersectional feminist lens.
• Evaluating training programmes with an intersectional lens, assessing what barriers exist in the digital sector to the participation of young women.
• Using participatory approaches to research, including young women in the design of research projects.
• Engaging and accessible report writing and presenting.
• Identifying, engaging with and maintaining/nurturing strong networks with our project partners.
• Working with private sector partners to develop learning and apply them to their existing programmes along with supporting work placements in the private sector for women and girls learning to code.
• Developing tools, training and resources informed by the research.
• Facilitating training sessions and workshops with partners to create inclusive workplaces for women.
• Providing tailored support to partners to embed recommendations to support more inclusive workplaces for women
• Leading on sharing research findings, information and best practise with networks and partners.
• Supporting the research and evaluation work of YWCA, supporting across projects.
• Supporting the Senior Leadership Team with any other duties.
Person specification Essential
• A good standard of education in relevant field or demonstrable equivalent skills through continued professional development.
• Passionate about achieving gender equality and advancing young women’s leadership.
• Value fit with YWCA Scotland – The Young Women’s Movement.
• Experience of designing and carrying out successful participatory research projects using qualitative and quantitative methods.
• Evidence of producing high quality, accessible and engaging research outputs.
• Ability to develop evidence-based tools, resources and training.
• Experience of facilitating and delivering workshops, group discussions and/or delivering training.
• Experience of building and maintaining successful partnerships working across different sectors and interests.
• Understanding the barriers women in STEM workplaces face to access and progress in STEM career pathways.
• Experience of managing time well with competing demands.
Person specification desirable
• Experience of working in/researching around STEM subjects.
• Experience of project management in a research role.
• Experience working within the women’s sector / experience working with women, girls and non-binary communities.
Why you should want to work with us?
• We operate a 4-day working week, which means full time is 28 hours.
• We offer flexible working options and patterns, including the option to work remotely from anywhere in Scotland.
• Our annual leave entitlement is 27.5 days a year, including public holidays.
• We are committed to supporting staff development through training and coaching opportunities.
• Wellbeing and mental health support are our priorities, all of our staff can access counselling and mental health sick days.