· Supports the cultures, languages, and life-ways of nature-based, tribal peoples.
· makes grants to charities that provide support to tradition-based indigenous peoples.
· invests in small, appropriate projects that make a positive difference to the world’s few remaining Indigenous peoples who are exemplars of how the Earth’s resources, sustainability, and cultural diversity can be maintained.
· helps to raise awareness of the rights of indigenous peoples and the wisdom that they can bring to the world.
Onaway Trust (onaway.org) is based in Scotland and is looking to recruit a number of new new trustees to join our existing board to lead the charity into the future.
· Attend two to four face-to-face trustee meetings annually and a number of video meetings.
· Understand and accept the legal responsibilities of being a trustee.
· Develop and uphold trust policy.
· Assess grant applications.
· Occasional public representation of Onaway.
· Provide advice and support to the Trust staff.
Essential trustee skills and attributes:
· Experience of committee membership in a charitable, public sector or commercial organisation.
· Strategic vision and good independent judgement, an ability to think creatively and communicate effectively.
· IT literacy with access to a PC and the internet at home/work.
· Good interpersonal, communication, and networking skills – especially with people of differing backgrounds, as you may be required to represent the charity in the field.
· Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to trustee duties
· Experience in one of financial governance, digital communications and marketing or project management.
Desirable trustee skills and attributes:
· Experience/ interest in indigenous peoples and international development
· Experience in assessing grant applications
· Good organisational and administrative skills.
· Willingness to visit beneficiaries overseas.
How to apply:
Candidates should send a 2-page CV and a letter of application describing what they believe they can bring to the post to: firstname.lastname@example.org