The Association for Fostering, Kinship and Adoption (AFKA) Scotland is seeking to appoint a Treasurer for our Board of Trustees. The Board meets at 5.30pm one evening (face-to-face) every second month and the Treasurer also meets with the finance subgroup between meetings (via MS Teams). The Board consists of 8 Trustees drawn from a variety of backgrounds including law, health, social work, research, and HR and who have provided oversight and support to the charity for many years.
AFKA Scotland is a national third sector organisation providing member services to Scotland’s 32 Local Authorities, voluntary and independent organisations to support the provision of Fostering, Kinship and Adoption Services to Children, Young People and Families. We host Scotland’s Adoption Register (SAR) and co-host the Kinship Care Advice Service Scotland (KCASS)
Our services include:
• Advice and guidance to 32 Local Authorities across Scotland.
• Provision of member forums/communities of practice including family placement, medical advisors, independent fostering, kinship and adoption panel chairs and legal advisors.
• Specific Consortia Membership for West and North East Social Work Practitioners.
• Provision of workshops and training.
• Provision of consultancy services using our skilled and experienced Staff and Associates.
• Independent chairing of fostering, kinship and adoption and permanence panels across Scotland.
• Our research team actively contribute to evidence informed practice through our research projects including the longitudinal Permanently Progressing Study.
• We contribute to the development of policy and practice at a local and national level.
• Oversight of AFKA financial affairs and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practices.
• Ensure proper financial procedures and records are in place.
• Monitor and report on the financial health of the charity.
• Oversight of the annual audited accounts.
• Assist with funding bids on behalf of the charity.
• Provide advice to the Board on financial matters and in relation to the risk register.
We are particularly interested in securing a Treasurer with experience in accounting and we welcome people with personal or professional experience of care.
AFKA Scotland is an independent charity that promotes and facilitates evidence-informed best practice in Kinship Care, Fostering and Adoption, through advising, training, and influencing practitioners and policymakers, and supporting them to improve outcomes for children and families.
At the heart is our vision of a future where every practitioner working with children, young people and their families is knowledgeable, skilled, confident, and empowered to support the safe, secure, and loving care to which every child has a right.
If you are interested in this role, please complete the attached application form and email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Friday 16 December 2022.