The Chief Operating Officer post is a new role that will support the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to provide
strategic leadership of RUTS.
Who we are:
RUTS is a charity committed to supporting young people develop skills for work and skills for life for over 40 years
by providing employability support and practical, vocational training. Through these activities tangible
outcomes are achieved including re-engaging participants with school/further/higher education and sustained work
placements and/or employment. There is also a specific focus on developing soft outcomes that support personal
development, such as building confidence, resilience, and motivation.
MAIN ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for leading the charity’s client facing activities, policies and systems.
They are responsible for implementing the organisation strategy and business plan
The critical leadership role has three primary functions:
- Operational management: the Chief Operating Officer manages the infrastructure of the organisation, our
HR/People, Culture, Finance, IT and facilities. Whilst leading the operations they will also work across all
divisions to ensure operational excellence and the highest standards of business operations at all levels
empowering a committed and passionate workforce.
- Strategic delivery: this role is responsible for
helping develop and managing the implementation of our strategy and strategic objectives across the
organisation. They will support our business planning process. They ensure we are being the best we can be,
helping the most people we can, in the most impactful way we can.
- Special projects: the Chief Operating
Officer will lead special projects across the organisation, particularly in new emerging areas for the
organisation associated with growth, development, and reputation. The post holder will oversee the development
and delivery of income generating projects. The focus in the first 12 months of the role will be to scope the
current employability landscape and identify opportunities for RUTS.
They will also be an external face of RUTS and, as such, are encouraged to speak proactively on behalf of the
organisation. They should demonstrate strong, visible and influential leadership of RUTS.
- Responsible for keeping the highest standards of governance and compliance with key funding partners such as
- Support in leading the organisation with transparency and integrity, providing clear
and demonstrable leadership to your team and our people.
- Ensure an effective and efficient system is in
place to manage RUTS policies and procedures, maintaining compliance with all relevant regulatory and legal
requirements including a code of conduct that is clearly communicated to all staff and reflective of the
- You will be responsible for management of RUTS operational budget
- Assist in forecasting, financial
reporting and financial updates to the board.
- You will be expected to improve RUTS commercial
performance by creating new and innovative opportunities for revenue generation via sponsorships and
- Assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of RUTS Strategic Plan
- Develop and implement
the Operational Plan; track and report progress against targets
- Maintain awareness of risks and changes
in the external environment that affect the organisation
- Maintain the organisation’s performance and how it is perceived by all relevant stakeholders
the development of partnerships and collaborative working generally, including with businesses where appropriate
to advance the organisation’s objectives
- Participate actively in the strategic planning process to support the growth of RUTS vocational
- Lead the delivery of the organisation’s operational business plan and engage proactively in
business development through existing and new finance streams.
- Lead on/input to the planning and
development of projects (both existing and new).
- Work closely with direct reports, supporting their personal development
- Review and develop training and
development plans to support individual and team capability development aligned with achieving the organisation
mission and aims
- Provide strategic development support to the CEO and deputise for the CEO
- Develop case studies and other
evidence to illustrate the impact and value of our work.
- Keep up to date with national, regional and
- Ensure that data is entered into the CRM so that case management can be effective
across the organisation
- Work in accordance with our values, policies and procedures.
- Work in
accordance with our equal opportunities and diversity framework.
- Work in accordance with our
safeguarding of children and adults policy and practice.
- Use ICT for general administrative duties
including work processing, spreadsheets, emails and databases.
- Proven track record in a leadership position commensurate with the responsibilities of the Chief Operating
- An understanding of the policy and funding environment of the third sector.
track record of cultivating effective relationships among partners and stakeholders including government and
- Experience of implementing a successful strategic plan aligned to performance
- Experience of budget management
- Experience of public speaking, ideally
including experience in handling media.
Skills and abilities
- Ability to engage and form partnerships within the public, private and/or third sector.
- Ability to
engage with public sector funding bodies, potential new funders in the private sector to develop new financial
streams for RUTS, as well as understand the nuances of the third sector.
- Ability to act as a valued
ambassador and champion for RUTS.
- Leadership skills to motivate and inspire our
- Innovative, with the ability to identify and recommend business opportunities when they
- Ability to build effective relationships with team members, colleagues, Board members and
- Excellent organisation and planning skills to cope with a varied workload and
ability to handle change, take decisions and prioritise workloads effectively to meet deadlines
- A demonstrable understanding of how youth work and vocational training programmes operate.
- A knowledge
of the youth unemployment landscape and its diverse stakeholders, including at community level, is
- Motivated, enthusiastic, and self-starting with a commitment and drive for organisational
- Committed to ensuring high standards, efficiency, and outstanding customer
- Committed to values of RUTS and in particular equality, inclusion, and
- Confident in own abilities to work as part of a team or on own initiative.
- Ability to
work under pressure and prioritise work to meet deadlines and take decisions
Qualifications & Training:
- Hold a relevant managerial / business qualification or equivalent experience.
- Driving licence
REPORTS TO: CEO
LINE MANAGER: CEO
Still interested? Please email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
For more information on the organisation please visit ruts.org.uk
Closing date for all applications: 12 noon on Monday 10th October 2022.
Interviews will be held: late October/early November 2022.
RUTS is committed to promoting equality and diversity in employment and follows an equal opportunities policy.