No one should be left out of life because of sight loss. Imagine a world where being blind or partially sighted is not what defines you. Imagine a world with enough support to make the challenges of sight loss no barrier to fulfilling hopes and dreams. Guide Dogs is working towards that world.
We campaign to break down barriers and end discrimination against people with sight loss. Our consistent campaigning has led to a shift in Government thinking and policy on a number of key issues, and we are consistently rated as a top influencing charity by MPs and MSPs.
We are an ambitious and dynamic team seeking an experienced Policy Officer to join us in communicating Guide Dogs’ campaigns to Holyrood and Westminster politicians to bring about legislative change.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a real difference and be part of an exciting and enthusiastic Engagement Team.
To be successful in this role, you should have:
• Ability to communicate effectively with politicians, organise events in parliament and at party conferences, and to manage your time and work load
• Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision and ability to act upon own initiative
• Experience of developing policy, campaigning and political lobbying
• Knowledge of political systems within Scotland, the UK and EU Parliament
• Developing and producing policies in support of Guide Dogs political engagement
• Increase awareness and support of our campaigns among policy makers through providing timely, accurate and persuasive briefings, and meeting with decision makers
• Carrying out research and analysis
• Organisation of political events and party conferences
• Briefing internal stakeholders – liaising with campaigners, local teams, and ensuring key internal members of staff are updated with information.
• Supporting the Engagement Manager, Engagement Officers and Communications Officer where required.
For more information on this role, the requirements and our benefits package, please visit our website
Applications can be made using the online application form.
As part of our safer recruitment policy, we do not accept CVs for job applications.
Closing date: Wednesday 13th February 2019
Interview date: Tuesday 5th March 2019