Charity registered in Scotland SC046704
Samaritans’ vision is that fewer people die by suicide.
Edinburgh Samaritans is a registered Scottish charity which is a branch of Samaritans, a charity which operates throughout the UK and the Republic of Ireland. Edinburgh Samaritans, based at 25 Torphichen Street, Edinburgh, EH3 8HX, aims to be open to telephone callers 24/7, 365 days a year.
Around 21,000 inbound calls were taken in 2022/2021. We also offer emotional support via email and online chat, and hope to be able to re-open to face-to-face callers soon, that service having been suspended during the pandemic. Volunteers are involved in outreach in schools & communities and supporting listening schemes in two prisons.
The branch is run almost entirely by our 190 volunteers including fundraising, training, marketing, IT, property maintenance, health & safety.
Samaritans Central Charity policies and procedures are followed where applicable.
In 2020 the Branch opened a charity shop, the first in Scotland and already our largest source of income. The shop is managed by a full-time manager, two assistant managers and a team of volunteers.
The objects of Edinburgh Samaritans are:
New trustee roles
The Board is seeking two external trustees who:
In particular we seek:
What being a trustee means for you:
Latest annual report available by email request to: email@example.com
Director Bruce Anderson is happy to have an informal discussion. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We wish to appoint a new Treasurer following our Treasurer stepping down after many years of service.
In outline, the role is to:
• To be part of the BLT and provide support and advice in relation to financial matters
• To manage the branch’s finances
• To oversee and present budgets, accounts and financial statements
• To ensure that proper accounts and records are kept and financial resources are spent and invested in line with good governance, legal and regulatory requirements
• To be instrumental in the development and implementation of financial, reserves and investment policies
• To liaise with, guide and advise our part-time Administrative Secretary on the financial aspects of her role
• To attend meetings and report on the branch’s financial position as and when required
• To prepare an annual financial statement for Samaritans Central Charity
• To ensure income and expenditure is processed in line with branch policies and procedures
• To act as a signatory on cheques (including any electronic transactions) and any applications for funds
• To oversee the payment of volunteer expenses as agreed by the BLT
• To liaise with the branch’s bankers and payroll agency as/when required.
A full role description is attached below