The Parish Church of St Cuthbert, Lothian Road, is looking to recruit a part time Church Officer to assist in the daily operation of the building and provide support to its congregation and visitors. This is a permanent role of 20 hours per week. Some flexibility in working hours will be required, including the availability to work some evenings and weekends.
There are no formal requirements for qualifications or experience. However, experience in a customer facing role would be advantageous.
The following presents an outline of the main duties of Church Officer:
1. Opening and closing up the building as necessary, ensuring the security of the premises is maintained at all times.
2. Providing front of house support when the church is open to visitors or when tradespeople etc visit the premises, including answering the phone and taking messages when the Church Manager is absent.
3. Preparation for (and attendance as required) services, meetings and events held by the congregation or third parties. This will sometimes involve the assembly of staging. Evening and weekend work will be required, as scheduled by the Church Manager, and attendance at Sunday services should be expected on a rota basis.
4. Tidying and cleaning the premises after events.
5. Small maintenance tasks, such as changing light bulbs, setting the heating etc.
6. Cleaning as necessary, including picking up litter in the kirkyard.
7. Replenishment of consumable products, such as toilet roll, hand soap, washing up liquid etc.
8. Completion of regular health and safety maintenance checks.
9. Reporting of any damage to the building and its contents/equipment, or issues with the utilities, to the Church Manager.
10. Such additional duties as may reasonably be requested by the employer.