Argyll and Bute Citizens Advice Bureau, is an independent and innovative advice organisation providing holistic advice and support to local people.
The Citizens Advice network in Scotland is set to deliver a comprehensive, enhanced support service called Help to Claim. From April 2019 Argyll and Bute Citizens Advice Bureau will provide the advice and support people need to submit their claim for Universal Credit and support them through to their first payment.
Argyll and Bute Citizens Advice Bureau is looking for a client-focused individual with experience of providing specialist level advice, to join as a Help to Claim Adviser (Universal Credit) and to help ensure clients get the support they need. This includes supporting with online forms, the evidence required, and verifying their identity online using face-to-face and telephone advice.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate relevant recent experience and knowledge of the welfare benefit system including Universal Credit. Applicants should also demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills, be well organised and be proficient in using a range of IT tools to carry out their work, including case recording systems, Microsoft Office, benefit check programmes and be able to make and manage benefit claims.
Committed, results-driven and supportive to the needs of others, the successful applicant will be able to work both on their own initiative as well as part of a team and must be willing to follow and develop agreed procedures.
This is a unique opportunity to give citizens access to free, impartial and confidential advice helping them to make informed decisions, whenever they need it and however they choose to access it.
Applicants will be required to travel between Helensburgh and Dunoon/Rothesay.
Argyll and Bute Citizens Advice Bureau offers excellent terms and conditions, including a total of 25 days (pro rata) annual leave plus public holidays and a pension scheme with a 6% employer contribution. Argyll and Bute Citizens Advice Bureau is an inclusive employer considering flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
West area: Oban Lorn and Isles, Mid Argyll and Kintyre 17.5 hours per week based in Lochgilphead/Oban
East area: Helensburgh & Lomond, Cowal & Bute 35 hours per week based in Helensburgh
Post holders will be required to travel efficiently and effectively to meet operational needs and will work mainly at outreach locations.
• On a rolling basis, promote volunteer adviser opportunity through publicity, talks, liaison with other organisations
• Prepare & send out application packs and co-ordinate interviews
• Work with the bureau manager to select suitable candidates, obtain references and carry out induction
• Organise the training programmes
• In co-operation with other staff, develop and ensure delivery of the bureau based training
• Provide support, assessment, guidance, monitoring and review of volunteer advisers’ progress in line with CAS requirements for the progression through the competency programme.
• Ensure that on-going training is identified and flagged to the bureau manager.
• Ensure that all volunteers receive the support and supervision required
• Supervise advice sessions rotationally, provide support to volunteer advisers in the delivery of advice work
• Ensure that research, telephone calls and correspondence relating to casework is progressed timeously
• Ensure that all advice work is recorded appropriately on the electronic case recording system
• Develop and maintain outreach working timetable across whole area including islands.
• Ensure that advisers and clients have access to video conferencing facilities, skype or interview rooms as appropriate for confidential advice sessions to take place.
• Personally deliver a minimum of 6 hours of advice sessions per week.
• Build and maintain partnership working with other agencies to enable successful establishment of pop-up/outreach advice locations.
• Assist the bureau manager with delivery of a range of promotional tools and calendar of activities delivered.
• Develop support materials to assist staff/volunteers with the use of video conferencing and skype for business delivery of advice.