If you are interested in a rewarding job with an established local charity involved in the relief of poverty, hardship and hunger in Stirlingshire then this could be the job for you!
Start Up Stirling is seeking to appoint an energetic and compassionate person to a recently expanded role of Client Services Support Worker.
About Start Up Stirling
Our charity began in 1994 when a group of local churches started to collect donated household goods and redistribute them to people who had been homeless and were moving into social housing. In response to growing local need we started our foodbank service in 2012 in an effort to tackle food insecurity and hunger. In 2017 we introduced an additional pilot service that offers additional tailored support for people experiencing hardship in Stirlingshire.
The whole operation, including our Board of Trustees, is run by volunteers (currently around 110), supported by a small group of paid staff. We work closely with a network of around thirty-five local referral partners, including Citizens Advice Bureau, Women’s Aid, Salvation Army Rural Housing, NHS, Stirling Council and local schools to identify those people that need our support and help.
What are we looking for in a Client Services Support Worker?
We are seeking a well-motivated, confident and enthusiastic individual who must be a good team player and be committed to helping Start Up achieve its charitable objectives. The successful candidate will be someone who can help coordinate our food bank services in an efficient and effective manner, and also collaborate with our partner organisation Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) Stirling and other local organisations in the development of our client support service.
What the role involves
● To support the delivery of the charity’s strategy and operational plan, with particular responsibility for the ongoing delivery and development of the charity’s client facing hardship relief and support services. This includes provision of starter packs, crisis food (both home delivery and Foodbank services) and other support services including the TRI project which the charity may provide in the future.
● In partnership with any other Client Services support worker(s), to manage the day-to-day aspects of the Client Service operations of the charity, ensuring that the client referral process and the subsequent provision of Client Services by Start Up Stirling is managed safely, accurately and effectively.
● To ensure that all supporting activities related to Client Services are completed in accordance with relevant policies, procedures and regulations, including appropriate record keeping, monitoring and reporting.
● To manage the extension of Start Up Stirling’s rural crisis food delivery service (currently limited to food parcels and informal support) to replicate the service being developed within the city centre, in which food collection points are combined with access to CAB support services and facilitated engagement with other capacity-building organisations.
● To assist the General Manager in controlling financial budgets in accordance with the charity’s financial management procedures and scheme of delegated authority.
● To ensure the service is being managed in line with organisational processes and procedures, including all monitoring and evaluation recording requirements and confidentiality and boundaries.
Essential skills and experience:
Applicants should be a team player and must be able to:
● Work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders, including referral organisations and other partners.
● Demonstrate excellent communication skills and be able to adapt communication skills effectively and as necessary.
● Work positively and flexibly as part of a busy team, prioritising workload and delegating work effectively.
● Possess sound organisational skills and demonstrate an ability to maintain and develop systems and processes relevant to the role.
● Possess experience in the design and ongoing operation of client support services monitoring and evaluation processes.
● Possess the ability to adhere to confidentiality and boundaries requirements essential to the role.
● Manage conflict effectively and appropriately whilst remaining calm and empathetic.
● Commit to their own personal learning and development as well as the learning and development of staff and volunteers.
Desirable skills and experience
● Promote a positive mindset and support people experiencing difficult times in a constructive and collaborative manner.
● Previous experience of working in a fast paced, moving, working environment with competing demands in your working day.
● Assist in harnessing community engagement and assets to optimise the potential support for the charity’s efforts to alleviate hunger and food insecurity.
● Previous third sector experience or experience in a similar role.
The Client Services Support Worker role may include occasional evening and weekend working, typically in connection with partner and community engagement events that take place outside normal working hours.
Start Up Stirling exists to support local people who are suffering from poverty, financial hardship, homelessness, and distress. This incredible charity strives to help people going through difficult times and endeavours to improve their quality of lives. Life is unpredictable and anyone can find themselves in unexpected hardship, more often than you may think, with over 9,500 people in the Stirling area who suffer from income deprivation.
By providing emergency food banks to over 300 people, including children in the Stirling area, Start Up Stirling are a lifeline to many who would otherwise go hungry, and last year alone, over 100,000 meals were delivered to people in desperate need of food. Losing paid employment, unexpected bills, family breakdowns, illness, and losing benefits can all cause people to experience financial difficulty and this charities support service provides a safe space for people to explore how to improve their situation by giving advice on money, fuel poverty, addiction, and social isolation. Start Up Stirling have been working tirelessly for 25 years to continually support those suffering deprivation in their local area and believe that together we can make a difference to help local people who are going through a difficult time.
Start Up Stirling need a new Community Fundraiser. In this role you will play an integral part of helping further the charitable aims of this wonderful organisation by developing the charity’s fundraising activity into new channels and communities. This is a rewarding and diverse role where one day you could be visiting schools and churches and the next, you could be monitoring social media channels, or planning community events and challenges.
The new Community Fundraiser will work closely and collaboratively with the team at Start up Stirling to develop and manage the programme of community fundraising and events and secure vital income for the organisation. You should be an excellent communicator with the ability to engage with donors and inspire supporters while developing and cultivating relationships. As this is a diverse role, you should be able to manage priorities and work to deadlines while achieving results. As an experienced fundraiser, you will have previous community or events experience and have previously implemented fundraising activities. An innovative fundraiser is required who is creative, driven, and full of energy to share exciting ideas on how Start up Stirling can grow their community fundraising portfolio.
This is an exciting opportunity for a passionate, motivated individual to join a friendly, inclusive organisation who deliver incredible impact in the local area. If you have a great work ethic and share this charity’s values, then please consider this as your next career move