Anne McLaughlin MP is currently recruiting for a permanent fulltime case worker with recent professional experience
of supporting people through claims to the DWP/Social Security Scotland. This would particularly suit someone
who has experience of this work through working in third sector organisations such as advice centres, housing
associations or other charities.
Points to note for applicants
- It is unlikely that someone whose only experience of this work is through working for an elected rep will have
gained enough experience but if they can demonstrate why their level of experience matches someone from a
welfare rights background they will be considered.
- The role will also involve working across the whole
range of cases that come into an MP’s office so it will not only be welfare rights related work.
The job is based in Anne’s constituency office in Springburn, though staff are currently working from home due to
Covid. This will not be a working from home role when it is safe to return to the office so please keep this in
mind before applying if you are not living within commuting distance of Glasgow.
Anne understands the barriers that can hold people back from applying for a position like this and so welcomes
applications from those who might not feel they come from a traditional background but who can demonstrate that
they have developed these skills through other experience. However demonstrable experience of welfare rights
work and the social security system are key requirements for this role.
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents
- Gather relevant information to assist
with resolving cases
- Deal with large numbers of standard queries as well as assisting on more complex
cases from members of the public by phone, email, social media or face to face
- Log all cases, monitor
progress and ensure all identified actions are taken
- Ensure that each case is dealt with promptly,
sensitively, confidentially and accurately
- Ensure records are kept and information managed in line with
data protection legislation
- Suggest issues affecting constituents for focused work eg a month long
campaign across the constituency to make people aware of their entitlement to Pension Credit
support and occasionally represent constituents appealing decisions
- Keep up to date with welfare rights
issues and legislation
- Assist at MP advice surgeries and other meetings and follow up as
- Critically analyse patterns of enquiries and articulate the findings in reports and
communication with the MP and other staff members
- Attend training and keep up-to-date with matters
- Attend and participate in meetings as appropriate including taking notes to share
- Provide general administrative support as required
- Assist and support in project
work as required
Applicants should have the following experience:
- Good current working knowledge of the UK and Scottish Government social security systems
- Experience of
assisting people to claim social security payments
- Experience of supporting people to appeal
- Computer literate, very well organised and a good planner
- Able to learn new systems
- Excellent communication skills
- Good analysis and summarising skills
- Able to work
collaboratively and supportively with colleagues
- Able to demonstrate general administrative
- Good time management
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of current affairs
- Attention to detail
The case worker will be expected to ensure that work carried out in Anne’s name reflects her ethos, i.e. to work with
respect and compassion, to use their influence to fight for people’s rights and to take a holistic approach to
This role is for 40 hours per week and is based in Glasgow though possibly with travel to Westminster on occasion.
Also occasional evening and weekend work may be required but generally hours will be within normal day time
working hours, Monday to Friday.
The salary will be in accordance with IPSA Pay Scales commensurate with experience and will be between £21530 -
£25450. You will also benefit from a 10% employer’s pension contribution.
The successful candidate will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the
Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).