Scottish Ministers invite applications from eligible candidates who are interested in appointment as General Member of the Mental Health Tribunal for Scotland (MHTS).
Applicants should note that under the provisions of the Tribunals (Scotland) Act 2014 (“the 2014 Act”), the MHTS is scheduled to transfer into the First-tier Tribunal for Scotland. The transfer is expected to take place in 2022. Upon transfer, members will become subject to the provisions of the 2014 Act and the Judicial Pensions and Retirement Act 1993.
• prepare for hearings by reading the papers;
• participate fully in the decision making of the three member tribunal panel;
• contribute to the panel’s written decision;
• ensure that parties who are not always represented can fully present their case and have it considered fairly;
• ensure decisions and any orders of the panel are made efficiently, effectively and fairly.
About the appointment
General Members of the MHTS attract a fee of £422.71 per day. This recruitment round aims to fill 10 General Member vacancies.
It is expected that General Members will commit at least 2 days to the role each month. The appointment term will last five years. Upon transfer, members will become subject to the reappointment provisions of the 2014 Act.