As a Personal Assistant, your role is to enable the employer, a sociable and intelligent young man who has a physical disability and uses a powered wheelchair, to pursue his interests and live as independently as possible.
Skills & Experience
Support worker required to join a small team to support 42 year old man living in his own home.
Experience of working with people who have a learning disability and autism
PVG Membership (or be willing to join)
Driving license essential
As a Personal Assistant, your role is to enable the employer, a young man who has muscular dystrophy uses a powered wheelchair, to pursue his interests and live as independently as possible.
· Provide assistance with social and leisure activities (e.g. cinema, evening classes, meeting friends, visiting new places, trying new things, etc).
· Provide assistance with note taking, administrative and work-related tasks.
· Provide assistance out and about, including driving wheelchair accessible van.
· Provide assistance with eating, drinking and preparing food.
· Provide assistance with getting in and out of bed, using a tracking hoist (training provided).
· Provide assistance with personal care, showering and toileting.
· Provide assistance with domestic tasks (e.g. cleaning, laundry etc.)
Skills & Experience
· Excellent communication and conversational skills.
· Understanding and positive attitude.
· Previous experience supporting someone with a disability.
· Driving licence valid in the UK (applicants who do not meet this criterion will be rejected).
· Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme membership.
· Opportunity open to both male and female applicants.
· Casual position (holiday/sickness cover and regular Saturday shift).
· Training is provided.
About the Lothian Centre for Inclusive Living
The Lothian Centre for Inclusive Living provides administrative support and payroll services to the employer. This allows the employer to remain anonymous in the early stages of recruitment in order to protect their privacy. Our client will contact you if you are shortlisted for interview.
I am a 52 year old man with Progressive MS I am looking for a PA to allow me to lead my life independently. I need someone to listen to what I want and follow instructions. Therefore it’s vital that the PA has good communication and listening skills.
The job involves assisting me with a variety of tasks. Like most people, my day varies so it is difficult to list every task.
After a period of familiarisation with duties, you will be required to assist with the following tasks, sometimes without supervision. The post holder will therefore need to be able to work unsupervised. The PA will therefore need to work on their own initiative whilst at the same time be respectful of my wishes.
The job involves moving and assisting/use of a hoist so previous experience is essential. You do not have to be strong to do the job well but good health is important.
The job requires providing assistance with the following:
Training can be given on tasks not familiar.
Post based within a homely environment.