Lead the Centre’s engagement in Scotland and support its public affairs work across the United Kingdom.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to celebrating and supporting diversity. We know we will thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds, and particularly welcome applications from people with experiences of homelessness.
IN A NUTSHELL:
We’re looking for a talented, creative and experienced Public Affairs Lead, to maintain and develop strong relationships with the Scottish Government, politicians and decision-makers in Scotland, and support theCentre’s wider public engagement work.
WHY IS THIS ROLE IMPORTANT FOR THE CENTRE’S WORK?
The Centre for Homelessness Impact is the UK’s What Works Centre for Homelessness. We want evidence to become the new normal in the homelessness sector, just as it is in public health and education and. After the successful launch of our book, Using Evidence to End Homelessness, we are on the precipice of a new and decisive movement to end homelessness with evidence. We need an experienced public affairs professional to work with the team to engage key audiences in Scotland.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN:
● Bring a deep understanding of politics and public affairs in Scotland
● Develop relationships across the United Kingdom including in Wales and Northern Ireland
● Understand policies that impact on homelessness in Scotland and elsewhere in the UK and
engage with decision-makers who influence these
● Write briefing papers summarising research evidence into clear, concise prose
● Generate political support and engagement with our End It With Evidence campaign to use
evidence and data to end homelessness for good
THE PUBLIC AFFAIRS LEAD IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
● Developing and delivering effective public affairs and engagement strategies for the Scottish
Government, elected representatives and local authorities in Scotland
● Supporting our public affairs work across the United Kingdom including in Wales and Northern
Ireland to advance our mission
● Working closely with our research and practice teams to get insights to inform our public affairs
● Ensuring that the Centre is fully informed of and engaged with policy developments in Scotland
and elsewhere in the UK that impact on homelessness
● Coordinating our End It With Evidence campaign, working with our Ambassadors to build support
for using evidence to end homelessness and identifying and building relationships with new
● Identifying grassroots organisations in Scotland and elsewhere that are committed to working with
the Centre and others to bring an end homelessness
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND BEHAVIOURS
● Have a proven track record of public affairs engagement in Scotland
● Be willing to support our engagement work across the United Kingdom
● Have excellent in-person and written presentation skills to engage with a variety of audiences
● Be able to manage competing priorities and be comfortable working within a self-directed culture
and navigating ambiguity
● Be committed to the aims of the Centre and understand the importance of an evidence-led culture
and the requirements of representing a charity
Nice to Have:
● In-depth knowledge of homelessness and related policy areas
● Knowledge or insights into politics or public affairs in Wales, Northern Ireland or Westminster
● Relationships with organisations we work with to support our public affairs strategy
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
Permanent. Full or part time. Location: Edinburgh or Glasgow preferred. Some travel required including to
London, Cardiff and Belfast.
Start date: Immediately.